Sunday, May 29, 2011

We are family... I don't know what to call this.

I am spending this weekend in the suburbs of Sacramento, the place that I grew up, although probably not the place I would describe as where I feel the most comfortable. My sister and brother are in town this weekend for a friend's wedding(more details to come), and I've been hanging out with them and my old friends, tomorrow some extended family as well. I borrowed my mom's bike to shake off the mid afternoon coma that I felt coming on. The bike is slower and heavier than my bike, with its fat tires, generous frame and ample seat. And the shocks... are those what they are called? I felt like I was riding a cadillac.

My sister just moved to a new town and has yet to find a job, and so she decided to come down on Tuesday. I felt so guilty throughout the week, because I felt unable/unwilling to sleep at my parent's house on the evenings where I had to go to work. She came to visit at my house on Tuesday, we visited my aunt and grandfather on Wednesday, on Thursday I made my mom, sister, nana, and boyfriend dinner at my house(they said it was delicious, thank you very much)...

oh no, my brother and friends just got home. This may have to be abbreviated. I whispered to them that I was writing on my blog and felt like a huge nerd.

By Friday I was exhausted and had to take a night off. I felt like a jerk, but if I don't get a little me time I get whiny and fussy like a little girl who needs a nap. However, the main event was on Saturday, so I feel like this may have been a wise move.

On Saturday we trekked to Ione, where I went to the most beautiful wedding ever, despite the buckets of dumping rain and it being held outdoors. Eli and Carina (Eli being my good friend as a result of his being one of my brother's best friends growing up) were getting married.

I can't really describe at the moment how beautiful this farm wedding was. The ceremony was short and sweet (I did not cry, though it was close), and afterwards we all went to this lovely outdoor area for hors d'oeurves and cocktails. Right before dinner it started drizzling. Soon it was pouring. Everyone was huddled under the tented areas, the women long ditching their party dresses for warm pants and sweaters. The bride's brother was amazing-- soaked to the bone, grilling beef parties and portabella mushrooms in the rain until the hundred or so (more? less? I don't know.) guests were all fed the main course. It was truly heroic.

The guests had been invited to camp on the property, but at this point, many people took down their tents. However, while it was cold and pouring, most people stayed, wet and uncomfortable under the tented area for hours.

The rain cleared out just as the party was relocated to the barn, which was filled with stacks of hay and they hung twinkle lights... we left and then came back this morning after the brunch for a gorgeous farm walk. I hope it's not rude to detail the events of someone else's wedding. It was just so neat. Because it was Eli and Carina and the so graciously invited up, my parents and siblings were all there, as well as the family members of some of our other friends.

Most of the people who were always at my parents house when I was a teenager were also at the wedding. It's so neat that everyone is still friends. I told my sister that no matter what else changes in my life and how much I can be resistant to leaving my own life to go to the burbs, seeing all of those old friends feels like coming home. She said that she was happy that I said that because she feels the same way.

So. Now that I am ensconsed in my parents house, my resistance of earlier this week has melted away. Work just exhausts me/I get easily overwhelmed when I have the perception that none of my time is my own.And I miss my cat. So, my brother is having a barbeque now. Whoo hoo! Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment