Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Don't talk to strangers and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all

I am kind of aggressive sometimes. For all of my talk about love and compassion, I can sometimes be very rude to strangers. I imagine that I have been provoked; it usually occurs when I feel like they haven't learned how to be decent on their own and should have me point their lack of manners or thoughtfulness out to them. This bad habit of mine may be a result of having had to bite my tongue for years working customer service jobs.

I was just reading at the coffee shop when I overheard a fussy, shrill sounding middle aged woman complaining to a man and a woman playing chess that they had stolen her table. "That's why I put the newspaper down," she explained, sounding supremely annoyed and put out. The people apologized, but (I'm guessing due to the woman's overly suffering and not polite attitude) didn't move immediately, offering the woman a chair as they continued their game. The woman hovered for a moment, glaring at everyone, and then came over to my table, asking if it was okay if she sat down. "Sure," I replied, my lovely quiet moment destroyed by her stress and impatience that had nothing to do with me. "That is just so rude." she muttered. Clearly, this woman was going to continue to be an unpleasant visitor at my table, so I said, "you know what, I'm going to go. You can have my table." Then, as I was making a move to leave, I noticed that there was an empty table across the patio. I pointed it out to her. "Well, if you're going to leave..." she said messing with settling her things, not even looking at me, concerned with securing her table, the table that she was entitled to, no matter if she made other people uncomfortable in their own private moments in the process. And I'm sorry, she put a newspaper down? It's a totally understandable mistake those people made. People discard newspapers at coffee shops all the time. Buck up and get over it lady. "Actually," I said, "I don't want to move." "What?" she said, "I thought you just said you were going to leave." "I just didn't want to sit next to you. You don't seem like a very nice person." She was, understandably, taken aback. "What?" "I don't want to talk to you," I replied. "You're strange," she said. And that was pretty nice of her, because she could have said a lot worse.

Then after trying to read for a few minutes, I got up and left anyway, because my feathers were ruffled and I was unable to concentrate. So... I can be a very nice person. And then moments like this happen. I'm probably getting my period.

No comments:

Post a Comment