Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Nauseous Autodidact Seeks Neurotic Cat for Cuddles (optional) and Fancy Free Adventures (also optional)

I have my days off dialed in. Dialed in! What does that mean exactly? Does that mean they're scheduled so that I can count on them? Because that's not what I mean. I mean that I have mastered the art of leisure, of maximizing one's enjoyment of little time and little to do. My plans for today? Well, I started off with a chocolate croissant from a french patisserie-- which to read the reviews on yelp, you would imagine that it would have a little more ambiance, but despite the fantastic tasting pain au chocolat and other such goodies, I would doubt that any of those reviewers have actually been to Paris, nor would they confuse the cold cafeteria style seating with a view of the motley crowd hanging out by the light rail on K Street with a quaint cafe overlooking the Seine. I've been eating quite a few chocolate croissants in the past month (lucky girl), and I have to say that I am comforted by the fact that I believe they bake all of their treats in house, as this croissant is a little more dense than others around town and otherwise I'd worry that they snuck something grosser than the copious amounts of butter and flour that I expected.

So, I've had my treat and my coffee and am looking forward to the three yoga classes I'm planning to attend today. 1.) I'm not in good shape. Yoga and bicycling are the only forms of exercise that don't feel like exercise to me, so of course I love them and try to do those activities as often as possible 2.)a lady (me) cannot enjoy food and be as neurotic and sad about my physical appearance as I am sometimes and not at least try to counterattack my constant indulgence in one of my great loves.

Additionally, I've decided to put myself on independent study. this happens every few months, as my bookshelf mocks my lack of discipline. Actually only recently has my bookshelf had anything to say about the matter, as I've finally, finally unpacked the cardboard boxes of my crap in my room. I was finding pay stubs from 2009, old drawings that one of my college roommates had put up on our refrigerator.. so, I got a bookcase (I really should have gotten two) and all of my books, most from college, are just staring me down, calling me out, what a fakery fake intellectual I am. And then my brain explodes.

We watched The Battle of Algiers last night. It was good. Well, I fell asleep during part of it, but it was a neat movie. The part where the Algerian ladies plant the bombs and kill French civilians was pretty interesting. At the same time that the viewer is feeling pretty sympathetic to the Algerians, to see a bunch of young French people killed while they're dancing is pretty jarring. Then again you did see some guys leaving a dinner party and casually planting a bomb in an Arab neighborhood in a previous scene.

Gah, my stomach! I've been nauseous and getting headaches the past couple of days. Not pregnant. Just sayin. I think I've been getting whatever's nasty that's been going around. Or it's the pot of coffee, expired food, and sugar I consume on an daily basis. example: yesterday in the break room at work (which accounts for the expired food, we get staffed product to snack on that is unsellable), "Agh, I've been so nauseous... should I have another piece of bread?" (slathered with past date cream cheese and eaten with old tomato soup). A coworker is eating a burrito and has a mini-handful of jalapenos that he's removed, as he is not a fan. "You don't like jalapenos? Sure, I'd love them!" and proceed to stuff all of the discarded peppers into my mouth at once. See the disconnect?

I woke up this morning dreaming of Paris, and Munich, and Seattle, and New York, which are my go-to fantasy places when I think about running away from home. In my dreams I'm like Ethelyne Tenenbaum of the Royal Tenenbaums, only rather than being celibate and scheduling my gifted children up for tennis and Italian, I'm the one getting culture in New York in the 1970's, sans babies. So, I' making assignments, I'm going to be disciplined... or I'm going to fart around on the computer for an hour... whatever. the day is young and so am I! (a variation on my favorite, less used expression, "the night is young and so are we!" since I actually like going to bed at a reasonable time and have stopped being a person who enjoys parties or fun:)

Time for toast! I love toast. Have a good day everyone <3

I used to

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I love this. When your momma told you last weekend you should be a writer (I was there with your sis when she texted you!), she meant it. We all do. Hope to see you later this month!

    ReplyDelete